In Expedia’s 2022 Travel Trends report, the appetite for travel is more significant than ever. As borders continue to open and travelers have saved up money ready to spend, two-thirds of Americans are planning significant trips over the next year. As a hotelier preparing for the influx, it’s essential to have solutions to ensure your guests’ safety and security while also improving internal efficiencies to streamline the check-in process. The right ID scanner system will help!
This blog post will discuss the growing importance of ID scanner systems for hotels and how working with the right technology partner can streamline operations.
ID Scanner Solutions for Safety, Security, and Efficiency
Let’s begin with this, “what is an ID scanner solution?” It is more than a device that quickly reads and stores the information on a person’s ID card or passport, including their name, address, date of birth, and other relevant data. It also includes software that extracts all relevant guest information and populates the data directly into the appropriate fields of the hotel´s Property Management System (PMS).
By scanning the ID or Passport of each guest, you can improve the accuracy of the data captured, speed up the check-in process, and provide extra security against lost room keys and chargebacks.
You can also be confident knowing exactly who is staying in your hotel. In the age of terrorism, it is more important than ever to know who is coming and going from your hotel. ID scanner solutions have become increasingly popular in recent years for several reasons. First and foremost, they are an essential safety and security measure.
In addition to safety and security, a hotel ID scanner can also help you streamline operations at your hotel.
- Reduce Check-in Time and Enhance Guest Service
- Establish a do not rent list with some PMS to prevent renting to guests that have been put on the list. A pop up shows that the person’s ID has been designated as Do Not Rent
- Obtain Accurate Guest Information for Future Marketing Efforts
- Eliminate the need for Photocopies saving time, money, and the environment
- Reduce Chargebacks by quickly retrieving the information you have in the guest’s folio.
- If a guest loses their room key, you can quickly identify them and provide a new key.
As you can see, ID scanner solutions offer many benefits for hotels; they are a must-have for any hotel looking to stay ahead of the curve; from safety and security to efficiency and cost savings.
Common Questions about ID & Passport Scanners
What ID scanners do hotels use?
Here at TTI Technologies, we offer four ID and Passport scanning solutions:
- DESKO ICON ID Scanner – Faster, Smaller, Better, and less expensive. Scans Driver’s Licenses, Government IDs, and Passports. Simply place on glass with quick read results. 400 dpi high-resolution scans. Reflection removal scan technology. Reads front and back of IDs USB powered device.
- i-Dentify ID-150 Card Authentication Scanner – The ID-150 is a full-color, 600 DPI duplex scanner that will scan the front and back and its magnetic stripe in a straightforward operation. The ID-150 will quickly and accurately verify IDentity documents such as driver’s licenses, alien registration cards, and federal, state, and local government IDs worldwIDe.
- The Gemalto QS2000 Full-page Document Reader – inspects and images Machine Readable Travel Documents (MRTDs) in various market segments. This reader is IDeal for smaller desktop-based operations requiring fast document reading and, in some models, can authenticate government IDs.
- DESKO´s multifunctional scanning solution PENTA Scanner® and TTI´s software application Scan2PMS provide an efficient combination of hardware and software for a fast and convenient check-in process customized to the needs of the hotel. The PENTA Scanner® is an intuitive device allowing hotel staff to perform quick and reliable scans of documents such as passports, ID cards, and drivers´ licenses.
With what documents will an ID Scanner work?
It will quickly and accurately scan IDentity documents and ID cards, such as:
- driver’s licenses
- alien registration cards
- federal, state, and local government IDs from all over the world
- Some models can also identify fake IDs with the proper software
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: Need Hotel Staff? Consider Tech Instead
How many ID scanning devices does a hotel need?
The number of ID scanning devices your property needs will depend on the size of the hotel and PMS you use. One machine may be sufficient for a small hotel, but you may need multiple ID scanners to ensure that all of your guests can check-in quickly and efficiently for a larger hotel. Your Property Management System determines if a scanner can be shared with two terminals in most cases.
How does authentication work for ID & Passport documents?
Some ID Scanners can authenticate an ID using Infrared and ultraviolet lights to detect tampering. When paired with authentication software, the scanner then compares the information on the back of the ID with that on the front and then compares every aspect of the ID with what the templates expect for that ID. If an ID is suspected of being fraudulent, then a pop-up appears and shows what it suspects to be a discrepancy.
What is the installation process?
Installation for ID and Passport scanners is easy and can be done in minutes Remotely with a trained technician on the phone. The installation can usually be done in about 15 minutes per scanner.
How much does an ID scanning solution cost?
The cost of an ID scanner solution depends on the desired features. Basic ID solutions can start as low as $995, while more advanced ones can cost up to $2500.
If you are looking for a solution for your property, reach out to us here to request a quote.
What other benefits are there ID scanner solutions for hotels?
In addition to using an ID scanner system that can scan drivers’ licenses and Identify fake IDs, using ID and Passport scanner solutions offers a few other benefits. The collected information can be stored in a customer database, e.g., bonus programs or post-stay marketing activities. Additionally, accurate and fast ID authentication for hotel and hospitality businesses is proven to cut theft and chargebacks.
How can my hotel add or upgrade our ID and Passport scanner solution?
Let us help! Learn more about our solutions here.
From streamlining operations to enhancing security, ID scanner solutions are a valuable asset for any hotel. With the right technology partner, you can ensure that your hotel runs smoothly and efficiently.
Contact us today to learn more about our ID scanner solutions and how we can help you take your hotel to the next level.